Introduction

I spend a considerable amount of time at my job scouring the internets for exceptional deals. While I am a huge proponent of online shopping for just about everything (including food), I've come to especially excel in the field of frugal fashion finds.

I've been able to successfully nab coveted items at deeply discounted rates, not because I'm a connected insider, but mostly through persevering and being patient (and importantly having constant internet connection and a finger hitting refresh).  The problem that people tend to suffer from is having a desire they want to fill immediately, hence impulsive and compulsive shopping.  However, if fashion is truly an art of expression rather than consumption, we should be able to cultivate our personal style without buying into every overpriced trend each season and going broke over it.

What might be shocking to some out there, is that whatever current trend is taking place, has more than likely been in its height of fashion during another time and decade. Case in point: seventies leather shorts. The clothing market is completely saturated with expensive leather designer duds, and yet a quick search on eBay yields hundreds of more than affordable vintage pairs that look exactly, if not better, than what's being peddled at the mall.

If vintage just isn't your thing (because old things freak you out), no worries. The beauty of this over saturation is that even exorbitantly priced designer items eventually go on sale somewhere. Another case in point: new Chloe sunglasses from the Outnet for $60, originally priced at $280.

My trusted tools include sample sales (both in-store and online), online stores (mostly sticking to the sale sections and waiting for codes for further discounts/free shipping) and eBay. I cannot emphasize eBay enough. I love it. If I could marry it, I would. Newbies get intimidated by the site, but trust. It is an amazing godsend when you learn how to utilize it to your best advantage.

In short, the purpose I'm trying to serve is to give the fashion and style conscious who have champagne tastes, yet are on beer budgets, a wealth of knowledge which can help to build the kind of wardrobe that is highly stylized and personal, and importantly will not throw you into the scary depths of debt.

Comments

Popular Posts